Our Family

Our Family
Done by My son quite a few years ago

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Why a C-section?

I was explaining to someone the other day that we would be having this baby c-section as we had to have Abigayle with a c-section birth...the comment I got was "ohh your taking the easy way out!"  I have had 2 babies naturally, no epidural nothing and did quite well with it.  I would prefer to deliver my baby naturally for a huge number of reasons the biggest one is every time I have delivered I have been up an hour later in the shower and ready to continue on.  With Owen I delivered him at 7:30 pm and was heading home by 10am the next morning...a little more than 12 hours in the hospital and I was able to be at home with my family.  Delivering obviously is less evasive. 
When I was pregnant with Abigayle during a dating ultrasound the ultrasound tech discovered what seemed to be a growth on my left ovary, of course ha could not give me any explanations so we got scared and wondered what it could be.  After a trip to my OBYN he assured me that he did not think it was cancerous, but maybe some sort of mass that had grown there and that we would monitor it over my coming months of pregnancy, over time as the baby got bigger so did this mass.  It was determined about 2 weeks prior to my due date that this mass was not letting the baby even turn she was laying in a transverse position and it was blocking any means for the baby to deliver.  I remember coming home and my Mom was here and just sobbing my heart out as the last thing I wanted to do was have a c-section delivery and then surgery right after to take care of this mystery mass.  I signed forms to have my left ovary entirely removed as the Dr thought this was going to be the only option to deal with this mass. 
Abigayle was delivered via a normal c-section and My DH was present the whole time after delivering her my Dr and his partner started working on me, as it turns out the mass was not connected to my ovary at all but was a massive fibroid that had attached itself at the top of my uterus and at the bottom.  When a fibroid grows it can grow two ways either on a stalk and they can just clip it or it embeds itself like a root.  Mine embedded itself so it required being chiseled out weakening the uterine muscle.  So the whole time Abigayle was growing so was this fibroid.  Looking back it explains so much as to why I was so tired and anemic.  Incidentally the Dr said my fibroid was one of the largest he has ever seen, it was close to the size of my babies head.
Fast forward 4 years and here I am again pregnant,  early in my pregnancy we talked about my options and the risks of each delivery...had I not had that nasty fibroid I would deliver V-back (Vaginal delivery after a c-section) even if that fibroid was attached to the lower part of my uterus I could have still delivered v-back with little risk.  However because it was attached to the top and had to be chiseled out my uterus muscle is weak and I would have a higher risk of my uterus rupturing during a vaginal delivery.  I honestly would not put my baby or myself in that kind of danger especially if it could have been prevented. 
So; no I am not taking the easy way out, nor am I thrilled about the 5 day hospital stay or the six weeks of recovery time, or having to rely on everyone else to take on my responsibilities while I recover slowly...at least this time I know what to expect and even though I will still be nervous I will not be scared and at the end of it all we will have our beautiful sweet baby safely here.

No comments:

Post a Comment