Our Family

Our Family
Done by My son quite a few years ago

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Sad Day

Yesterday I lost one of my most favorite people, my Grandma.  Her death came relatively unexpectedly.  She became ill and went to the hospital on Saturday.    She would have turned 91 on her birthday this July.  Grandma was not your typical 90 year old lady...she was tough, strong willed and refused to give in to anything.  She still drove herself about in her car, she cut her grass on her riding lawnmower, she worked in her gardens, burned leaves in the fall and she lived on her own.

 I have always been very close to my Grandma, I had the privilege of growing up next to her.  I saw Grandma everyday, as I grew older we did so much together.  I went to church with her on Sunday mornings well into my teenage years, we would have fires out at the side of her house and roast marshmallows and hot dogs.  We had several trips to a rented cottage on a yearly basis, it started out with my two cousins and my brother and I, later just Grandma and I went as she did not want to drive all of the way.  When I had my first daughter she would spend almost everyday with me, once or twice a week we would go out for coffee or shopping. 
Grandma was the greatest counselor, whenever I was having a problem no-matter what it was, I would call and talk to her or when I was younger I would go up to her house and we would have a talk.  She always had a way of seeing the situation from a different point of view and if I was in the wrong she would very gently turn me in the right direction...she was never harsh or hurtful with her words or judgemental she just spoke what was in her heart. 
I know that I am very lucky to have such an amazing person to be part of my life for the last 37 years...for that I am thankful.  I am Thankful that my children, my niece and nephew and my little second cousins all had a chance to know how incredible she was and how much she loved them. 
Today I leave with this poem as it seems appropriate.

Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.
Written by Mary Frye

No comments:

Post a Comment